Why Jane Bravo?

My photo
One dark and boring night in 2005, sitting alone thinking about life and how weird it is, Sarah Dawood/ Drama wrote her first blogpost as Jane Bravo. What started out as a private ranting space, slowly and gradually evolved into the current blog, which talks about many events, things, and feelings. Just like all of Sarah's other social media platforms, also about many events, things, and feelings --- Instagram: thesarahdawood | snapchat: thesarahdawood | twitter: @SarahDawood | facebook: /groups/TheCoddiwomple

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Reality Check



She sat in one of the toilet cubicles, eating her lunch... A maid who was on duty at one of the local malls.

It hurt me to see a human being reduced to this- She was not allowed a lunch break, she was paid by the hour; She was not even allowed to sit in the waiting area of the public toilet to eat her meal.

I was numb with shock.

I know people who would not even use a public toilet... Yet, this human being had to use the place as a dining area. I felt ashamed, and very sad. She seemed like a clean, kind woman with a sad and lonely face. Maybe it was her self-respect, maybe she was desperate to keep the job, or else why would she work to earn her monthly income servicing public toilets, even if that meant eating her meals whilst on duty there.

As we exchanged glances, she smiled at me- it was a genuine smile that made my heart ache for her; Almost as if she was saying to me, 'I'm alright...' I gave her some money and left, goose-bumps on my skin as I walked away.

I felt quite ashamed thinking how I had spent most of the morning today worrying about - new tires for my Suzuki; whether I would be able to get all the things on my shopping list; whether I had enough money in my wallet for the day out - as I sat with my son, eating pizza, and playing on the computer, in my very comfortable home. I thought of the little details of my day, how great it had been.
Let me never forget it- this wonderful life.

There are times when I have felt I do not have enough in this life. Today I realise how much I have, how ungrateful I have been sometimes.

May I be more thankful for this life...

-JB

1 comment:

M D said...

Beautiful piece of writing.

Thought provoking and an eye

opener.