Why Jane Bravo?

My photo
One dark and boring night in 2005, sitting alone thinking about life and how weird it is, Sarah Dawood/ Drama wrote her first blogpost as Jane Bravo. What started out as a private ranting space, slowly and gradually evolved into the current blog, which talks about many events, things, and feelings. Just like all of Sarah's other social media platforms, also about many events, things, and feelings --- Instagram: thesarahdawood | snapchat: thesarahdawood | twitter: @SarahDawood | facebook: /groups/TheCoddiwomple

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Think Pink, Save Yourself.

Uzma,
2 years after being diagnosed.
She lost all her hair
but kept her chin up.
The nurse told me which ward Uzma was in. I walked to it and entered, I looked at all the patients but couldn't see her on any of the beds. "I'm here, Beautiful", she called out. I heard the familiar voice behind me, but as I turned to look at her I found a face and body I couldn't recognize. It was an old woman, various drips injecting her arms, and the tube in her nose to help her breathe. Stunned, I quickly put a smile on my face and walked toward her. I hugged her, softly, I was afraid I'd hurt her. "You didn't recognize me, haina?" she asked, smiling. I changed the subject. 

This is when Uzma's battle with Cancer had just begun. She fought like a true warrior, but when it was her time to go, we all had to accept it, including her. 

I remember getting the message from her one day when she was diagnosed with 4th stage. She had been at work and the pain in her upper back had gotten so bad she decided to get it checked. It turned out she had Breast Cancer. I always wonder, if only we had traced it before, would things go differently. Would my darling, beautiful friend still be with me, still be alive?


I'm writing today to appreciate Chugtai Lab's efforts to create awareness on Breast Cancer nationwide with a drive called #ThinkPink. This is so important, and we don't talk about Breast Cancer enough with our girls, young women. Which is why this step towards creating awareness and educating Pakistani people (men and women) about Breast Cancer and the benefits of early detection is a great initiative.

There are many myths surrounding Breast Cancer which need to be broken. As Dr. Sehba Arji, a Pathologist says, "If you're above 20, you need to examine yourself monthly". I agree.

We must never take our health lightly, as Muniba Mazari, Head of CSR at Chugtai Lab, insists: young women and all women in general, must take their health seriously, "Breast Cancer is a topic that is hardly talked about by men or women. It is because of this societal taboo that many women keep suffering for a long period of time until the Cancer reaches a stage where it becomes harder to treat that it would initially have been." How sad. Don't let it be you, or someone you love.

The Chugtai Lab Team at one of the #ThinkPink Karachi sessions

While I firmly believe that there is a time for each of us to go, I don't like the idea of "going" painfully. Uzma spent 4 years fighting the Cancer which started in her breasts, then went on to her lungs, then her liver, then her brain. If only it had been traced at an early stage and treated, perhaps my darling friend would still be with me, alive, healthy, and smiling that beautiful smile. May she forever rest in peace, amen.

Breast Cancer is treatable, but early detection is key. 
Check your boobs now, please... #ThinkPink

No comments: